Albert Moser was born in Trenton, New Jersey, where he lived with his parents until the age of 60. During his youth–after serving with the American occupation army in Japan after World War II, Albert held a number of small jobs from washing airplanes on a military base to selling candy. However he always thought of himself as a photographer. After taking some photography classes to the retired soldiers offered by the School of Industrial Arts, he even had a custom ink stamp made for himself, which he used to mark the backs of his photographs with.
In the early 1970s and for 25 years on, Moser created panoramic composite photographs. After choosing a particular view, he would take as many as thirty pictures from that angle and meticulously lining up the resulting photographs, joining each slice of the panorama together with scotch or masking tape. He would write detailed descriptions of the location, date and the mechanical specifications of the camera he used on the back of these compositions. What is striking about Moser’s work, besides its unique materiality and poetic audacity, is the deliberate desire to reinvent the reality captured by his lens in a sort of optical vertigo.
photo | brut : collection bruno decharme et compagnie, les rencontres d’arles in collaboration with abcd and the american folk art museum (new york), mécanique générale, from july 1st to september 22nd, 2019.
heterotopias : architectural dwellings, curator : matali crasset, christian berst art brut gallery, from december 2nd, 2017 to january 20th, 2018.
brut now: l'art brut au temps des technologies, belfort museums, belfort, from october 29th to january 16th, 2017.
international biennial of photography, biennale de l'image possible, liège, belgium, from august 20th to october 16th, 2017.
art brut : a story of individual mythologies, works from the treger saint silvestre collection, oliva creative factory, são joão da madeira, portugual, from june 18th to february 28th, 2017.
on the wire, by jean-hubert martin, christian berst art brut gallery & jean brolly gallery, paris, from april 9th to may 22th, 2016.
soit 10 ans, états intérieurs, christian berst art brut gallery, paris, from september 12th to october 21th, 2015.
art brut, collection abcd/bruno decharme, la maison rouge, paris, from october 17th to january 18th, 2014.
le mur, oeuvres de la collection antoine de galbert, la maison rouge, paris, from june 14th to september 21st, 2014.
art brut : breaking the boundaries, works from the treger-saint silvestre collection, curator : christian berst, oliva creative factory, sao joao da madeira, portugal, from june 1st to september 11th, 2014.
outsider art fair, curator : daniel baumann, new york, united-states, from may 8th to 11th, 2014.
outsider art fair 2013, hôtel le "a", paris, from october 24th to 27th, 2013.
bigmoser view by jerome clermont, christian berst gallery, paris, from may 31th to july 20th, 2013.
albert moser : life as a panoramic, christian berst art brut gallery, paris, from june 1st to july 21th, 2012.
slick art fair paris, le garage, paris, from october 17th to 21th, 2012.
photo|brut, collection bruno decharme & compagnie, paris, flammarion ed., abcd and the american folk art museum, 2019.
review multitudes, n°69, winter, 2017.
visions solidaires pour demain, "le numérique est-il compatible avec le solidaire", n°2, 2017/2018, cognacq-jay fondation, december 2017, p.109.
exhibition catalogue, heterotopias : architectural dwellings, christian berst art brut ed., paris, 2017.
exhibition catalogue, brut now : l'art brut au temps des technologies, christian berst art brut ed., belfort museums, belfort, 2017.
exhibition catalogue, biennale de l'image possible 2016, les éditions du caïd, 2016.
exhibition catalogue, pretense, christian berst art brut ed., paris, 2015.
exhibition catalogue, art brut collection abcd/bruno decharme, flammarion, paris, 2014.
exhibition catalogue, la folie de l’art brut, roxana azimi, séguier, paris, 2014.
exhibition catalogue, le mur, oeuvres de la collection antoine de galbert, texts written by antoine de galbert, anaël pigeat, sophie delpeux, fage ed., paris, 2014.
exhibition catalogue, treger-saint silvestre collection, christian berst art brut ed., paris.
exhibition catalogue, albert moser, life as a panoramic, christian berst art brut ed., paris, 2012.
l'art brut, françoise monnin, scala ed., paris, 2012.
albert moser, panorama, march projects for uk arts in health care, new york, 2011.
catalogue published to mark the exhibition
albert moser : life as a panoramic
june 1st to july 21, 2012
forewords: christian berst
208 pages couleurs, 6.6 x 11.6 in, bilingue français/anglais
limited edition of 250 numbered copies
prix : 40 € | 55 $
ISBN : 9-782366-690026
selective press review
- art-newspaper authors christian berst in artnewspaper édition française, july-august 2019.
- hétérotopies architectures habitées authors Chris Cyrille in artpress, january 8, 2018.
- hétérotopies architectures habitées authors Chris Cyrille in point contemporain, january 8, 2018.
- de l'art brut art high-tech authors Stéphanie Lemoine in l'oeil, january, 2017.
- l'art brut sous les feux des projecteurs authors la rédaction in La Tribune.fr, October 15, 2014.
- Ruée vers l'art brut authors Noémie Barré, photos Nathalie Baetens in Coté Paris n°29, october-november 2013.
- Albert Moser tombe dans le pano authors Dominique Poiret in Libération, July 14 2012.
- Coney island, baby authors Frédéric Chapuis in Télérama sortir, July 11 2012.
- Albert Moser en panorama authors in Photo, Summer 2012.
- Albert Moser Paris authors in Réponses Photo, July 2012.
- Albert Moser authors Colin Cyvoct in L'Oeil, Summer 2012.
- L'espace d'une vie à travers une ville authors Patrick Le Fur in AMC, June July 2012.
- Les panoramiques polyphoniques authors Florence Valérie ALONZO in lacritique.org, June 30 2012.
- Albert Moser Life as a panoramic authors Philippe Godin in paris-art.com, June 29 2012.
- Photographie panoramique et art brut : Albert Moser authors lunettes rouges in amateur d'art par , June 23 2012.
- Albert Moser authors in art actu.com, June 22 2012.
- Les villes secrètes d'Albert Moser authors Guillaume Morel in Connaissance des arts photos, June 2012.
- Les panoramas américains d'Albert Moser authors Bernard Perrine in La lettre de la photographie.com, June 11 2012.
- Albert Moser - the outsider authors Susan Owensby in RFI english, June 10 2012.
- Albert Moser Life as a panoramic à la galerie Christian Berst authors in Le Courrier de l'Architecte, May 31 2012.
- Life as a panoramic authors Bérénice Clair in toutelaculture.com, May 30 2012.
- Albert Moser : life as a panoramc à la galerie christian berst authors in actuphoto, May 21 2012.