Albert Moser was born in Trenton, New Jersey, where he lived with his parents until the age of 60. During his youth–after serving with the American occupation army in Japan after World War II, Albert held a number of small jobs from washing airplanes on a military base to selling candy. However he always thought of himself as a photographer. After taking some photography classes to the retired soldiers offered by the School of Industrial Arts, he even had a custom ink stamp made for himself, which he used to mark the backs of his photographs with.
In the early 1970s and for 25 years on, Moser created panoramic composite photographs. After choosing a particular view, he would take as many as thirty pictures from that angle and meticulously lining up the resulting photographs, joining each slice of the panorama together with scotch or masking tape. He would write detailed descriptions of the location, date and the mechanical specifications of the camera he used on the back of these compositions. What is striking about Moser’s work, besides its unique materiality and poetic audacity, is the deliberate desire to reinvent the reality captured by his lens in a sort of optical vertigo.
"brut now: l'art brut au temps des technologies" from October 29th to January 16th 2017, Musées de Belfort, Belfort.
International Biennial of Photography, Biennale de l'Image Possible, 2016, Liège, Belgium.
"Art brut : a story of individual mythologies", oeuvres de la collection Treger Saint Silvestre Oliva Creative Factory, 18th june until 28th february 2017, São João da Madeira.
"on the wire",by Jean-Hubert Martin, christian berst art brut gallery & Jean Brolly gallery, from April 9th to May 22th, 2016, Paris.
"soit 10 ans, états intérieurs" from September 12th to October 21th, 2015, christian berst art brut gallery, Paris
"art brut, collection abcd/Bruno Decharme" from October 17th to January 18th, 2014 la Maison Rouge, Paris.
"le mur, oeuvres de la collection Antoine de Galbert" from june 14th to september 21st 2014, la Maison rouge, Paris.
"Art brut : Breaking the boundaries, Treger-Saint Silvestre Collection", from June 1st to September 11th, 2014 curator : Christian Berst, Olivia Creative Factory, Sao Joao da Madeira, Porto
Outsider Art Fair, Curated Space by Daniel Baumann, New York, from May 8th to 11th, 2014.
"albert moser : life as a panoramic", 1er juin au 21 juillet 2012, galerie christian berst art brut, Paris.
Slick Art Fair Paris, from October 17th to 21th, 2012, Le Garage, Paris.
"BigMoser view" by Jérôme Clermont from May 31th to July 20th, 2013, Paris.
Outsider Art Fair 2013, from October 24th to 27th, 2013, 75008, Paris.
exhibition's catalog brut now : l'art brut au temps des technologies, ed. christian berst art brut, Musées de Belfort, Belfort, 2017.
exhibition catalogue, Biennale de l'Image Possible 2016, Les Editions du Caïd, 2016, pp 54 - 55.
exhibition's catalog, preTENse, Paris, christian berst art brut, 2015
exhibition's catalog, art brut collection abcd/Bruno Decharme, La Maison rouge, Paris, 2014.
exhibition's catalog, art brut, collection abcd/Bruno Decharme, Ed, Flammarion, Paris, 2014.
exhibition's catalog La folie de l’art brut, Roxana Azimi, Éditions Séguier, 2014
exhibition' catalog, Le mur, oeuvres de la collection Antoine de Galbert (14.06 au 21. 09. 2014), La maison rouge, exhibition catalogue, texts written by Antoine de Galbert, Anaël Pigeat, Sophie Delpeux, Paris, Editions Fage, 2014.
Exhibition catalogue "Treger-Saint Silvestre Collection",from June 1st to September 11th, 2014,Porto, Olivia Creative Factory, Sao Joao da Madeira, ed. galerie christian berst art brut, Paris
exhibition catalogue Albert Moser, life as a panoramic, galerie christian berst, Paris, 2012, 207 pages.
Françoise Monnin, L'art brut, Nouvelles éditions SCALA, Paris, 2012.
Albert Moser, Panorama, March Projects for UK Arts in Health care, 2011, 46 pages.
catalogue published to mark the exhibition
albert moser : life as a panoramic
june 1st to july 21, 2012
forewords: christian berst
208 pages couleurs, 6.6 x 11.6 in, bilingue français/anglais
limited edition of 250 numbered copies
prix : 40 € | 55 $
ISBN : 9-782366-690026
selective press review
- de l'art brut art high-tech authors Stéphanie Lemoine in l'oeil, january, 2017.
- l'art brut sous les feux des projecteurs authors la rédaction in La Tribune.fr, October 15, 2014.
- Ruée vers l'art brut authors Noémie Barré, photos Nathalie Baetens in Coté Paris n°29, october-november 2013.
- Albert Moser tombe dans le pano authors Dominique Poiret in Libération, July 14 2012.
- Coney island, baby authors Frédéric Chapuis in Télérama sortir, July 11 2012.
- Albert Moser en panorama authors in Photo, Summer 2012.
- Albert Moser Paris authors in Réponses Photo, July 2012.
- Albert Moser authors Colin Cyvoct in L'Oeil, Summer 2012.
- L'espace d'une vie à travers une ville authors Patrick Le Fur in AMC, June July 2012.
- Les panoramiques polyphoniques authors Florence Valérie ALONZO in lacritique.org, June 30 2012.
- Albert Moser Life as a panoramic authors Philippe Godin in paris-art.com, June 29 2012.
- Photographie panoramique et art brut : Albert Moser authors lunettes rouges in amateur d'art par , June 23 2012.
- Albert Moser authors in art actu.com, June 22 2012.
- Les villes secrètes d'Albert Moser authors Guillaume Morel in Connaissance des arts photos, June 2012.
- Les panoramas américains d'Albert Moser authors Bernard Perrine in La lettre de la photographie.com, June 11 2012.
- Albert Moser - the outsider authors Susan Owensby in RFI english, June 10 2012.
- Albert Moser Life as a panoramic à la galerie Christian Berst authors in Le Courrier de l'Architecte, May 31 2012.
- Life as a panoramic authors Bérénice Clair in toutelaculture.com, May 30 2012.
- Albert Moser : life as a panoramc à la galerie christian berst authors in actuphoto, May 21 2012.