José Manuel Egea, born in 1988 in Madrid, has been fascinated with the figure of the lycanthrope, or the werewolf, since his childhood. Not only is he convinced of being one himself, but he seems to want to reveal to us, through his works, that the double monstrosity lies beneath the surface for many of us, if not all of us.
In order to do this, he has developed a rich palette of representations of this “Other” that everyone harbors: from sketches to drawings on photographic portraits taken from magazines or art books, including sculpture and performances during which he “plays out” his transformation. This mythological creature is obviously the symbol of a blurry duality, but it embodies a great power at the same time, mysterious, and capable of exerting an influence on mankind, of inspiring fear in him. So what would be better, to exorcize it, than to play with this fear, to seek to become the fear itself, and to feel invested with its force?
It isn’t insignificant that Egea makes this dark side appear, especially using images printed on glossy paper whose only purpose was to seduce us. He conjures our bestiality there, made of shadowy and menacing silhouettes, enucleated eyes, triumphant hairiness and lupine attributes. And this is the reversal in the other side of the mirror. This iconoclasm can reach the gutter of the page, clear-cut, as if to accentuate the fracture between two worlds; sometimes even, it is the complete covering of the page, through which we can barely see, vanquished in the darkness, the fictitious beauty that these images impose on us.
José Manuel Egea gives himself over to liberating play since, even though he mangles our humanity, by freeing himself from the norm, he reveals the grandeurs of alterity to us in a pure and unrestrained artistic gesture.
- José Manuel Egea : lycanthropos authors Bénédicte Philippe in Télérama Sortir, August 24, 2016.
- exposition lycanthropos de José Manuel Egea authors Alix Joly in actu photo, September 1st, 2016.
- Arte Bruta, galeria delicada authors Ana Paula Cardoso in O Globo, September 2, 2016.
- A l'avant garde José Manuel Egea série Lycanthropos authors Dauphine De Cambre in The ARTchemists, September 5, 2016.
- Les galeries du Marais font leur rentrée authors Clélia Dehon in The Steidz, September 5, 2016.
- José Manuel Egea authors Philippe Dagen in Le Monde, September 9, 2016.
- José Manuel Egea : le lycanthrope de l'art contemporain authors Stéphanie Pioda in Artistikrezo, September 20, 2016.
- José Manuel Egea authors Aurélie Romanacce in L'Oeil, October 2016.
- lycanthropos authors la rédaction in Paris Art, September 30, 2016.
- Le lycanthrope de l’art brut authors philippe godin in la diagonale de l'art, october 9, 2016.
- José Manuel Egea et son loup-garou universel à Christian Berst art brut authors la rédaction in indie paris, october 13, 2016.
- Expo Art Brut: José Manuel EGEA "Lycanthropos" authors Eric Simon in ACTUART, september 14, 2016.
- José Manuel Egea, Lycanthropos – Entretien avec Christian Berst authors la rédaction in Point Contemporain, november 2, 2016.