Lindsay Caldicott, born in Leicester in 1954, was a technician in therapeutic radiography, trained since the age of 16 (in 1970) at the Leicester Royal Infirmary, where she stayed for four years, then, after a one-year stint in a kibbutz in Israel, working at the radiography unit of a hospital in the Netherlands (Leiden) in Amsterdam from 1978 to 1983, then again in Amsterdam, after her fine arts degree, from 1988 to 1990. From 1985 to 87 she studied at the Middlesex Polytechnic Fine Arts BA (first class degree).
Having been abused as a child, she suffered from serious psychological problems, which she managed to cope with until a more serious episode in 1990, which forced her to leave her job in Holland and return home to Leicester, at the age of 34. She spent most of the next 24 years in a psychiatric ward, until her suicide in 2014, after several attempts. She was diagnosed with manic depression and schizophrenia, suffering from a multiple personality disorder (dissociative disorder of identity) and obsessive compulsive disorder; she also suffered from alcohol addiction.
lindsay caldicott : x ray memories, christian berst art brut gallery, paris, from october 13th to november 24th, 2018.
exhibition catalogue, lindsay caldicott : x ray memories, christian berst art brut ed., paris, 2018.
catalogue published to mark the exhibition
lindsay caldicott : x ray memories
october 13 to november 24, 2018
forewords: christian berst
essay by marc lenot
280 pages quadri, 8.2 x 8.2 inches, bilingual french / english
Price : 30 €
ISBN : 979-10-90463-35-6
selective press review
- le filaf s'invite à paris authors serge bonnery in l'indépendent, march 31, 2020.
- a ppr oc he , l’attestation d’une recherche image multiforme authors christian gattinoni in lacritique.org, november 19, 2019.
- approche 2019 : expérimentations et déconstructions authors anaïs viand in fish eye magazine, november 9, 2019.
- les expositions à voir en marge de paris photo authors oscar duboy in admagazine, november 7, 2019.
- paris, objectif photos authors clémentine mercier in libération, november 4, 2019.
- art-newspaper authors christian berst in artnewspaper édition française, july-august 2019.
- de quoi l'art brut est-il le nom ? authors la rédaction in artnewspaper édition française, july-august 2019.
- lindsay caldicott, l’iconographie de l’inconscient faite collage authors christian gattinoni in la critique.org, december 26, 2018.
- lindsay caldicott : effets du rayonnement authors élisabeth quin in madame figaro, november 23, 2018.
- lindsay caldicott chez christian berst art brut authors philippe dagen in le monde, november 2nd 2018.
- lindsay caldicott, avec un x majuscule authors marc lenot in blog le monde amateur d'art par lunettes rouges, november 1st, 2018.