José Manuel Egea is a great supporter, since the age of 10, of Marvel Comics superheroes, and more particularly of Jack Russel, the werewolf.
The transformation of the human being into the beast, from human kind to a powerful and terrible creature, fascinates him. It is the heart of all his work produced since 2010 in the center of creation «debajo del sombrero» (under the hat), that receives people with learning disability.
Most of the time, he composes using characters found in magazines that he transforms in wolf, covering the image with ballpoint pen until they disappear, making way for the monster.
In observing the images closely, we see that the direction and the intensity of the stroke of the pen or marker is fundamental for provoking the emergence of the beast. Egea does not settle for covering the image in black. Rather, it is about invoking the animal that lies within the subject of the portrait and that struggles to get out. The lines are made in the direction that the hair flows from the face. The lines are made with great amounts of force, leaving a trace in the battered paper. Transcending its apparent smoothness, transforming it, as well.
For Egea, it is not difficult to connect with the wolfness – as he himself calls it – that resides beneath the appearance of people. He knows it well, thanks to his own fits during which his need to howl in order to calm himself down and his passion for tearing up all sorts of things, especially his clothes, manifest themselves.
There is also a series of words or phrases that attract him and that he mysteriously repeats while drawing: androgynous, birth, transformation, machistar (‘to make macho’), attaching wolfness to an adolescent he becomes half man half wolf, remaining black forever, homonids – it seems that homonids scare him very much.
extravaganza, works of the treger saint silvestre collection, oliva creative factory, são joão da madeira, portugal, from april 13th to september 15th, 2019.
josé manuel egea solo show, bienvenue, la cité internationale des arts, paris, from october 16th to 27th, 2018.
paréidolie, international drawing art fair, J1, marseille, from september 1st to 2nd, 2018.
7ème biennale de l'art contemporain, once fondation, madrid, from june 5th to september 16th , 2018.
do the write thing 2: read between the lines, christian berst art brut gallery, from april 26th to june 2nd, 2018.
drawing now art fair, le carreau du temple, from march 22th to 25th 2018.
art brut : a story of individual mythologies, oeuvres de la collection treger saint silvestre, oliva creative factory, são joão da madeira, from june 18th to february 28th, 2017.
bip, biennale de l'image possible, espace B9, liège, from august 20th to october 16th, 2016.
josé manuel egea : lycanthropos, christian berst art brut gallery, from september 3rd to october 23rd, 2016.
drawing now, le salon du dessin contemporain, le carreau du temple, paris, 2016.
debajo del sombrero II, prabbely gallery, wiltz, luxembourg, 2015.
una expo + visiones desconocidas a través del arte, caixaforum, barcelona, 2014.
let the damn flow, galería combo, córdoba, espagna, 2014.
la canción propia, círculo de bellas artes, madrid, 2014.
V bienal de arte contemporáneo de fundación once, centro cibeles, madrid, 2014.
mundo extreme, la casa encendida, madrid, 2013.
feria de arte contemporáneo arco, madrid, 2012.
exhibition # 4, the museum of everything, selfridges, london, 2011.
artistas en proceso, escenamobile 2011, museo de la provincia, sevilla, 2011.
art brut : la pulsion creativa al desnudo, graciela garcia, sans soleil ed., vitoria-gasteiz, 2018.
exhibition catalogue, 7th biennale of contemporary art,once fondation, madrid, 2018.
exhibition catalogue, do the write thing 2: read between the line, christian berst art brut ed., paris, 2018.
revue multitudes, n°69, winter, 2017.
exhibition catalogue, biennale de l'image possible 2016, caïd ed., tavier, 2016.
exhibition catalogue, josé manuel egea, lycanthropos, christian berst art brut ed., paris, 2016.
exhibition catalogue, mundo extreme, la casa encendida, madrid, 2014.
exhibition catalogue, cancion propia, circulo de bellas artes, madrid, 2014.
selective press review
- d'art et d'actu : l'art brut authors daniel schick in canal+, december 7, 2018.
- trois pépites d'art brut authors armelle malvoisin in beaux arts, octobre 2018.
- l’envolée de l’art brut authors éric tariant in le temps, november 13, 2017.
- le combat de christian berst pour l'art brut authors stéphanie pioda in gazette de drouot, october 2017.
- "galeristes", a fair with a vision authors in gazette de drouot international, december 2016.
- cinq bons points pour galeristes 2016 authors guy boyer in connaissances des arts, december 12, 2016.
- Vincent Sator et Christian Berst des galeristes peu sages authors Marie-Hélène Fabre in revuewatt.com, november 26, 2016.
- José Manuel Egea, Lycanthropos – Entretien avec Christian Berst authors la rédaction in Point Contemporain, november 2, 2016.
- José Manuel Egea et son loup-garou universel à Christian Berst art brut authors la rédaction in indie paris, october 13, 2016.
- Le lycanthrope de l’art brut authors philippe godin in la diagonale de l'art, october 9, 2016.
- José Manuel Egea authors Aurélie Romanacce in L'Oeil, October 2016.
- lycanthropos authors la rédaction in Paris Art, September 30, 2016.
- José Manuel Egea : le lycanthrope de l'art contemporain authors Stéphanie Pioda in Artistikrezo, September 20, 2016.
- Expo Art Brut: José Manuel EGEA "Lycanthropos" authors Eric Simon in ACTUART, september 14, 2016.
- José Manuel Egea authors Philippe Dagen in Le Monde, September 9, 2016.
- A l'avant garde José Manuel Egea série Lycanthropos authors Dauphine De Cambre in The ARTchemists, September 5, 2016.
- Les galeries du Marais font leur rentrée authors Clélia Dehon in The Steidz, September 5, 2016.
- Arte Bruta, galeria delicada authors Ana Paula Cardoso in O Globo, September 2, 2016.
- exposition lycanthropos de José Manuel Egea authors Alix Joly in actu photo, September 1st, 2016.
- José Manuel Egea : lycanthropos authors Bénédicte Philippe in Télérama Sortir, August 24, 2016.
- art brut la fête des fous authors Isabelle Martin-Anderson in Silver age, June 2016.
- biennale de l'image possible authors la rédaction in Imagine demain le monde, july 1, 2016.
- Drawing Now : « La foire est arrivée à maturité » authors la rédaction in AMA, March 30, 2016.