The first European solo-exhibit by the American Melvin Way, discovered in 1989 by the artist Andrew Castrucci, whose selected works are being shown in the cabinet of curiosities.
The graphic density of Melvin Way’s talismanic notes gives them a rare magnetism. It is during a long process, which can last for months, that Melvin covers these fragments of papers with writing, numbers, mathematical and chemical formulas, geometric figures, musical scores, and adhesive tape.
These pages from a melancholic codex attest to his obsession with time and space, while his equations seem to want to locate vortexes, these bridges leading from one to another. It is a way – for the man who sometimes signs Melvin “Milky” Way – of freeing himself from his earthly condition. And as Laurent Derobert reminds us: “Melvin Way’s work on this is the best teaching: it is less about understanding us than it is about filling us with wonder.”
Today, Melvin Way is an artist celebrated by eminent critics such as Jerry Saltz of the New York Magazine, who calls him a “mystic visionary genius.”
cabinet de curiosités : Andrew Castrucci
a 240 pages catalogue with texts by Andrew Castrucci, Laurent Derobert, Jay Gorney is published.
- Notre rencontre avec Christian Berst authors Lucien in lesjeudisarty.squarespace.com, May 26, 2016.
- Melvin Way - A Vortex Symphony authors Bénédicte Philippe in Télérama Sortir, June 9, 2016.
- artistes new yorkais à Paris authors la rédaction in Que faire à Paris, June 23 2016.
- Expo Dessin Contemporain: Melvin WAY « a vortex symphony » authors Nituadmin Art in http://www.artsculture.fr/, June 17 2016.
- Melvin Way, A vortex symphony authors Félix Gatier in art press online, July 13, 2016.