Royal Robertson, a sign painter by trade, was born in St. Helena Parish, Louisiana. His paintings crafted from magic markers, ballpoint pens and tempera feature images of aliens, futuristic modes of travel, strange architectural temples and rants about his wife, Adell.
His works are often double-sided bearing a painting on one side and a detailed calendar with various chores, thoughts, and proclamations on the other. Robertson painted with fierce energy and purpose, but also with the deliberate precision of a trained sign painter.
prophet royal robertson : space gospel, Paris, ed. christian berst art brut, 2016.
Art Brut: a history of individual mythologies, curator: Christian Berst, Oliva Creative Factory, Sao Joao da Madeira, June 18, 2016 - February 26, 2017
on the wire by jean-hubert martin, christian berst art brut gallery & Jean Brolly gallery, from April 9 to May 22, 2016
Do the Write Thing, Read Between the Lines, gallery christian berst art brut, New York, October 30th - December 21st 2014
The Museum of Everything, Pinacoteca Giovanni e Marella Agnelli, Turin, 01 April – 29 August 2010
american outsiders, the black south, gallery christian berst, Paris, June 19th - July 18th 2009
évasion , les transports de l'art brut, gallery christian berst, Paris, June 06th - July 19th 2008
"Drawing Now, salon du dessin contemporain", gallery christian berst, Paris, 10 -14 April 2008
The End Is Near: Visions of Apocalypse, Millenium, and Utopia, American Visionary Art Museum, Baltimore, May 1997 - May 1998
exhibition catalogue « prophet royal robertson : space gospel », christian berst art brut, paris, 2016
exhibition catalogue « Do the Write Thing : Read between the lines », New York, 2014.
La folie de l’art brut, Roxana Azimi, editions Séguier, Paris, 2014
christian berst art brut « Arte bruta, terra incognita, collection Treger-Saint Silvestre », Lisbonne, lelivredart, 2012.
exhibition catalogue « The Museum of Everything », Pinacoteca Agnelli - Turin - Italie, Milan, Electa, 2010.
exhibition catalogue « American Outsiders I, The Black South, African-American Vernacular Art », galerie christian berst, Paris, lelivredart, 2009.
Outsider Art, Source Book, Art brut, folk art, outsider art, raw vision Ltd, 2009.
William Arnett, Souls Grown Deep, vol 1 : African American Vernacular Art of the South, New York, Public Library, 2000.
exhibition catalogue Roger Manley (curator) « The End is Near », Baltimore, AVAM, 1997.
Frédéric Allamel, « Ecrits apocryphes contemporains, la contribution aux Saintes Ecritures de Royal Robertson », in Raw Vision n°13, 1995.
Frank Maresca and Roger Ricco, American-Self-Taught : Painting and drawings by outsider artists, New York, Alfred A. Knopf, 1993.
It’II Come True, Lafayette, Artists’ Alliance, 1992.
Chuck and Jan Rosenak, Museum of American Folk Art Encyclopedia of Twentieth-Century American Folk Art and Artists, New York, Abbeville Press, 1990.
Baking in the Sun. Visionary Images from the South, Lafayette, U.S.L, 1987.
- American Folk Art Museum, New-York (United States)
- High Museum of Art, Atlanta (United States)
- Treger Saint Silvestre collection, Porto (Portugal)
- Smithsonian Museum Of American Art, Washington (United States)
- African American Museum, Dallas (United States)
- Art Museum of Southeast Texas, Beaumont (United States)
- Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham (Saint Pierre and Miquelon)
- The Louisiana State Museum, New Orleans (United States)
- Mississippi Museum of Art, Jackson (United States)
- New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans (United States)
- Rockford Art Museum, Rockford (United States)
- St. Jame Place Folk Art Museum, Robersonville (United States)
selective press review
- Vincent Sator et Christian Berst des galeristes peu sages authors Marie-Hélène Fabre in revuewatt.com, november 26, 2016.
- L'art brut mis en avant à la galerie l'Entrepôt authors in Monaco info, July 14, 2016.
- Sur le fil authors Laurent Boudier et Bénédicte Philippe in Télérama Sortir, April 20, 2016.
- mea culpa + mea felicita authors Philippe Ducat in oh cet echo, November 20 2012.
- American outsiders - The Black South authors in Télérama sortir, July 15th 2009.