Royal Robertson, a sign painter by trade, was born in St. Helena Parish, Louisiana. His paintings crafted from magic markers, ballpoint pens and tempera feature images of aliens, futuristic modes of travel, strange architectural temples and rants about his wife, Adell.
His works are often double-sided bearing a painting on one side and a detailed calendar with various chores, thoughts, and proclamations on the other. Robertson painted with fierce energy and purpose, but also with the deliberate precision of a trained sign painter.
heterotopias : architectural dwellings, curator : matali crasset, christian berst art brut gallery, from december 2nd, 2017 to january 20th, 2018.
the museum of everything, mona (museum of old and new art), berriedale, australia, from june 10th, 2017 to april 2sd, 2018.
into the unknown, barbican, london, united kingdom, from june 3rd to september 1st, 2017.
prophet royal robertson : space gospel, christian berst art brut gallery, paris, from october 27th to november 17th, 2016.
art brut : une histoire de mythologies individuelles, curator : christian berst, oliva creative factory, sao joao da madeira, portugal, from june 18th, 2016 to february 26th, 2017.
sur le fil, by jean-hubert martin, christian berst art brut gallery & jean brolly gallery, paris, from april 9th to may 22th, 2016.
do the write thing, read between the lines, christian berst art brut gallery, new york, united states, from october 30th to december 21th, 2014.
the museum of everything, pinacoteca giovanni e marella agnelli, turino, italia, from april 1st to august 29th, 2010.
american outsiders, the black south, christian berst gallery, paris, from june 19th to july 18th, 2009.
evasion, les transports de l'art brut, christian berst gallery, paris, from june 06th to july 19th, 2008.
drawing now, salon du dessin contemporain, christian berst gallery's stand, paris, from april 10th to april 14th, 2008.
the end is near: visions of apocalypse, millenium, and utopia, american visionary art museum, baltimore, united-states, from may 1997 to may 1998.
exhibition catalogue, heterotopias : architectural dwellings, christian berst art brut ed., paris, 2017.
exhibition catalogue, into the unknown, a journey through science-fiction, barbican center, london, united kingdom, 2017.
exhibition catalogue, prophet royal robertson, space gospel, christian berst art brut ed., paris, 2016.
la folie de l’art brut, roxana azimi, séguier, paris, 2014.
exhibition catalogue, do the write thing : read between the lines, christian berst art brut ed., new york, 2014.
exhibition catalogue, arte bruta, terra incognita, collection treger saint silvestre, christian berst, marina bairrao ruivo, antonio saint silvestre, lelivredart, paris, 2012.
exhibition catalogue, the museum of everything, electa, milan, 2010.
exhibition catalogue, american outsiders I, the black south, african-american vernacular art, lelivredart, paris, 2009.
outsider art source book: art brut, folk art, outsider art, in raw vision Ltd, 2009.
souls grown deep, vol 1 : african-american vernacular art of the south: the tree gave the dove a leaf, william arnett, atlanta, ga: tinwood books with the schomburg center for research in black culture, new york public library, 2000.
exhibition catalogue, the end is near, curator: roger manley, baltimore, 1997.
« écrits apocryphes contemporains, la contribution aux saintes écritures de royal robertson », frédéric allamel, in raw vision n°13, 1995.
american-self-taught : painting and drawings by outsider artists, frank maresca, roger ricco, alfred a. knopf, new york, 1993.
it'll come true, lafayette, artists' alliance, 1992.
chuck and jan rosenak, museum of american folk art encyclopedia of twentieth-century american folk art and artists, abbeville press, new york, 1990.
baking in the sun. visionary images from the south, lafayette, u.s.l, 1987.
- American Folk Art Museum, New-York (United States)
- High Museum of Art, Atlanta (United States)
- Treger Saint Silvestre collection, Porto (Portugal)
- Smithsonian Museum Of American Art, Washington (United States)
- African American Museum, Dallas (United States)
- Art Museum of Southeast Texas, Beaumont (United States)
- Birmingham Museum of Art, Birmingham (Saint Pierre and Miquelon)
- The Louisiana State Museum, New Orleans (United States)
- Mississippi Museum of Art, Jackson (United States)
- New Orleans Museum of Art, New Orleans (United States)
- Rockford Art Museum, Rockford (United States)
- St. Jame Place Folk Art Museum, Robersonville (United States)
selective press review
- Vincent Sator et Christian Berst des galeristes peu sages authors Marie-Hélène Fabre in revuewatt.com, november 26, 2016.
- L'art brut mis en avant à la galerie l'Entrepôt authors in Monaco info, July 14, 2016.
- Sur le fil authors Laurent Boudier et Bénédicte Philippe in Télérama Sortir, April 20, 2016.
- mea culpa + mea felicita authors Philippe Ducat in oh cet echo, November 20 2012.
- American outsiders - The Black South authors in Télérama sortir, July 15th 2009.