Misleidys was born with severe hearing loss, and without the proper social and medical supports, has led an isolated life in her native Cuba.
Unable to speak or communicate through traditional means, Misleidys has developed her own visual language of painted figures, mythological creatures, demons, and human bodies that are partially exposed, revealing brightly colored organs, muscle, and tissue. The paintings are subsequently cut out and installed on the wall of her family’s home with precisely trimmed and spaced pieces of tape. The figures and body parts vary enormously in size but are of consistent aesthetic sensibility and quality.
Art Brut: a history of individual mythologies, curator: Christian Berst, Oliva Creative Factory, Sao Joao da Madeira, from June 18, 2016 to February 26, 2017
On the Wire, christian berst art brut gallery & Jean Brolly gallery, from April 9 to May 22, 2016.
Misleidys Francisca Castillo Pedroso & Daldo Marte : fuerza cubana, galerie christian berst art brut, Paris, from February 4 to April 2, 2016
I'm a Beautiful monster, works from the Treger/Saint Silvestre collection, oliva creative Factory, S.Joao da Madeira, Portugal, July 17 to August 28 2015.
Soit 10 ans, états intérieurs, gallery christian berst art brut, Paris, from September 12 to October 21, 2015
Misleidys Francisca Castillo Pedroso: Cut and Flex, University of Kentucky, Albert B. Chandler Hospital, May 2015–December, 2015.
Misleidys Fransisca Castillo Pedroso : Musculatura Viva, galerie christian berst art brut New York, April 19 to May 31, 2015.
NADA Miami, 2014.
(OFF)ICIELLE, cité de la mode et du design, Paris, October 22 to 26, 2014.
On the Wire, by Jean-Hubert Martin, exhibition catalogue, ed. christian berst art brut, Paris, 2016.
misleydis castillo pedroso: fuerza cubana, exhibition catalogue, galerie christian berst art brut, Paris, 2016
I'm a Beautiful monster, works from the Treger/Saint Silvestre collection, exhibition catalogue, Camara Municipal de S.Joao da Madeira, Portugal, June 2015.
Misleidys Fransisca Castillo Pedroso : Musculatura Viva, exhibition catalogue, galerie christian berst art brut New York, 2015.
The Misleidys Francisca Castillo Pedroso Coloring Book. Published in conjunction with the exhibition, “Misleidys Francisca Castillo Pedroso: Cut and Flex,” University of Kentucky, Albert B. Chandler Hospital, May 2015–December, 2015.
Soit 10 ans, états intérieurs, exhibition catalogue (09/12-10/10/2015, christian berst art brut), Paris, christian berst art brut, 2015
100 pages, 8.2 x 8.2 inches, bilingual english / french.
Price : $25 | 20 €
catalogue published to mark the exhibition
February 4 to April 2, 2016
forewords: Christian Berst
selective press review
- O mercado é bruto? authors Valdemar Cruz in Expresso, July 16, 2016.
- A arte não se deita na cama que lhe preparam authors Ágata Xavier in Sabado, June 20 2016.
- En Cuba, Jaime no se levantó... authors Marion Giraldou in Monde DIplomatique Chili, March 2016.
- Misleidys Castillo Pedroso & Daldo Marte authors in NewsArtToday.TV, February 27, 2016.
- La confusion des genres authors Philippe Godin in Libération - Diagonale de l'art, February 19, 2016.
- Fuerza cubana : Misleidys Castillo Pedroso & Daldo Marte authors Bénédicte Philippe in Télérama Sortir, February 17 2016.
- Art Brut makes its mark authors Chadd Kortge in Happening, July 6, 2015.
- Misleidys Pedroso: Musculatura Viva authors Tag Christof in Need Supply Co., May 10, 2015.
- Misleidys Pedroso: The Marvel and the Albatross authors Bob Levin in Broad Street Review, May 9, 2015.
- Interior covers : Misleidys Castillo Pedroso authors in Art Papers, March-April 2015.
- Meet Cuban Artist Misleidys Francisca Castillo Pedroso and Her Gender-Bending Bodybuilders authors Karen Wong in artnet news, April 15, 2015.
- These Are The Artists To Watch In 2015 authors Priscilla Frank in Huffington Post, December 9, 2014.
- 5 Booths We’re Looking Forward to at NADA Miami Beach authors Alanna Martinez in Observer, December 2, 2014.
- Art As Mental Therapy: Impressive 'Art Brut' Exhibit in Havana authors in NBC News, November 25, 2014.
- Oficielle, beaucoup de bruit pour rien ou presque. Notre sélection qui sauve l'honneur authors Hugo Saadi in toutelaculture.com, October 22, 2014.
- A l’avant-garde : Misleidys Castillo – Hombres authors Dauphine de Cambre in theartchemists.com, September 5, 2014.