Johann Korec grows up in institutions for homeless youths. After attending a school for retarded children, he works as a laborer at a farmstead. He is committed to Gugging mental hospital in 1958. Since 1981, he lives and works there in the «house for artists.»
He had already begun working artistically in the 1960s. Based on copies of illustrations that appeared in newspapers, and over several years time, he develops an independent painting technique of his own. His ink and aquarelle pictures primarily depict loving couples and erotic scenes, which can be interpreted as an illustrated diary.
do the write thing 2 : read between the lines, christian berst art brut gallery, from april 26th to june 2nd, 2018.
living in art brut, 123 works from the hannah rieger collection, museumkrems, krems an der donau, austria, from september 8th to october 26th, 2017.
gugging! the crazed in the hot zone, christian berst art brut gallery, from september 2nd to october 14th, 2017, paris.
exhibition's catalogue, do the write thing 2: red between the lines, christian berst art brut ed., 2018.
exhibition's catalogue, living in art brut, 123 works from the hannah rieger collection, museumkrems, bad vöslau, austria, 2017.
exhibition's catalogue, gugging! the crazed in the hot zone, christian berst art brut ed., paris, 2017.
ver-ru?ckt: art brut aus der sammlung dagmar und manfred chobot, Straihammer, Roswitha, Dagmar Chobot and Manfred Chobot. 2014.
- collection de l'Art brut, Lausanne (Switzerland)
- LaM, musée d'art moderne, d'art contemporain et d'art brut de Lille Métropole, Villeneuve d'Ascq (France)
- Arnulf Rainer collection, Vienne (Austria)
- abcd collection, montreuil (France)
- Dammann collection, Bâle (Switzerland)
- Hannah Rieger collection, Vienne (Austria)
- Hervé Lancelin collection, Luxembourg (Luxembourg)