Alexandro Garcia, a gardener born in Montevideo, Uruguay, in 1970, records his ethereal visions in drawings of meticulous detail that blend imaginary weightless cities, on the verge of floating off into the infinity of space, and the ballets of constellations come to meet them. They evoke an elsewhere offered up for our projections and for colonisation by a new form of humanity: “we are not alone”. It was the experience of seeing a UFO, or avistamiento in Latin American Spanish, that triggered Alexandro Garcia’s creative side. He has no artistic training or knowledge of drawing; he produced his earliest works using a ruler, marker pens, biros, and pencils on whatever he could find, such as the backs of yearbooks. His work is close to spiritualist art in the sense that he sees himself as the instrument of external forces: “I am a channel absorbing the messages of the cosmos”. Latin America has not given us such an exciting exploration of the tortuous paths of creativity since the artists from the Brazilian psychiatrist Osorio Cesar’s collection and, later, Magali Herrera. Alexandro Garcia’s work was first seen in Europe at the Galerie Christian Berst in 2010 and was shown at Art Paris and Drawing Now Paris the same year. His art has already been acquired by major collections of Art Brut.
"brut now: l'art brut au temps des technologies" from October 29th to January 16th 2017, Musées Belfort, Belfort. curator Christian Berst; associated curator Brut pop.
Alexandro Garcia : no estamos solos II, Paris, ed. christian berst art brut, 2016
art brut: a history of individual mythologies, curator: christian berst, oliva creative factory, sao joao da madeira, june 18, 2016 - february 26, 2017
on the wire, christian berst art brut gallery & jean brolly gallery, from april 9 to may 22, 2016.
soit 10 ans, états intérieurs, gallery christian berst art brut, paris, from september 12 to october 21, 2015
élevations, at the palais idéal du facteur cheval, hauterives, april 30th - august 30th 2015
art brut : breaking the boundaries, treger-saint silvestre collection, from june 1st to september 11th, 2014 curator :christian berst, olivia creative factory, sao joao da madeira, porto
drawing now, carrousel du louvre du 11 au 14 avril 2013.
art paris, le grand palais - paris du 18 au 22 mars 2010.
alexandro garcia, no estamos solos à la galerie christian berst du 12 mars au 24 avril 2010.
exhibition's catalog brut now: l'art brut au temps des technologies, ed. les presses du réel, Musées de Belfort, Belfort, 2017.
"no estamos solos" in orbs l'autre planète n°5, may 2016
exhibition's catalog, on the wire by jean-hubert martin, ed. christian berst art brut, paris, 2016
exhibition's catalog, preTENse, paris, christian berst art brut, 2015
exhibition's catalog treger-saint silvestre collection, from june 1st to september 11th, 2014, olivia creative factory, sao joao da madeira, ed. galerie christian berst art brut, paris
exhibition's catalog, arte bruta, terra incognita, viera da silva, fondation arpad-szenses, from april 20th to september 23th, 2012
exhibition's catalog, alexandro garcia, no estamos solos, paris, galerie christian berst art brut, from march 11th to april 24th, 2010
pablo thiago rocca, otro arte en uruguay, montevideo, linardi y risso, 2009.
selective press review
- alexandro garcia: no estamos solos II authors Olivier de Rincquesen, image by JP Depersin in BFM TV, january 15, 2017.
- de l'art brut art high-tech authors Stéphanie Lemoine in l'oeil, january, 2017.
- Alexandro Garcia at the Christian Berst gallery, Paris authors la rédaction in blouinarteinfo, december 30, 2016.
- alexandro garcia : no estamos solos II authors bénédicte philippe in télérama sortir, december 14, 2016.
- Ouf, le merveilleux revient ! authors bruno dubreuil in viens voir, december 5, 2016.
- nous ne sommes pas seuls authors maxence layet in orbs, l'autre planète, may 2016.
- L'art brut comme aspiration infinie authors la rédaction in Première vision, July 15, 2015.
- alexandro garcia authors la rédaction in première vision, May 20 2014.
- Devine qui vient exposer ce soir authors Philippe Ducat in Oh cet echo, September 2012.
- NYOAF 2011 authors in animula vagula, February 19th 2011.
- No estamos solos rue de Charenton authors in animula vagula, March 10 2010.
- Art Paris nouvelle formule, Foire ou spectacle authors in Beaux Arts, March 2010.