Beverly Baker’s drawings are created through the obsessive layering of text found in a small selection of books and magazines that she uses as reference material. The final abstract compositions generally contain only trace hints (indices indications) of their genesis in language as Baker draws continuously on the same sheet, obliterating her original words or letters with additional words, lines and color. Most of her drawings are created with ballpoint pens, colored pencils and permanent marker.
Baker, who has Down Syndrome, is a member of the Latitude Artist Community in Lexington, Kentucky, a program with the stated mission of serving all people, with an emphasis on those thought by some to have a disability. Unlike most “studio programs” for artists with disabilities, Latitude creates meaningful, inclusive community interactions and allows participating artists to contribute culturally and politically to the life of their community. Baker has been an integral member of Latitude since its founding in 2001.
beverly baker : underlying colors, Institute 193, from May 25th to July 1 2017, Lexington, United-States.
art Brut: a history of individual mythologies, curator: Christian Berst, Oliva Creative Factory, from June 18th 2016 to February 26th 2017, Sao Joao da Madeira, Portugal.
black Paintings : A Response to Jackson Pollock, Dallas Museum of Art, from October 1st to November 20th 2015, Dallas, Etats-Unis.
on the Wire by Jean-Hubert Martin, christian berst art brut gallery & Jean Brolly gallery, from April 9th to May 22th 2016, Paris, France.
soit 10 ans, états intérieurs, christian berst art brut gallery, from September 12th to October 21th 2015, Paris, France.
art brut live, DOX Centre for contemporary art, from March 27th to August 17th 2015, Prague, Czech Republic.
drawing Now 2015, salon du dessin contemporain, Carreau du Temple, from March 25th to 29th 2015, Paris, France.
beverly baker, palimpseste, christian berst art brut gallery, from February 3rd to 28th 2015, Paris, France.
do the Write Thing, Read Between the Lines, christian berst art brut gallery new york, from October 30th to December 21st 2014, New York, United States.
slick art fair paris, Le Garage, from October 17th to 21th 2012, Paris, France.
rentrée hors les normes 2012, discoveries & new acquisitions, christian berst art brut gallery, from September 8th to October 13th 2012, Paris, France.
drawing Now 2012, salon du dessin contemporain, Carrousel du Louvre, from March 29th to April 1st 2012, Paris, France.
rentrée hors-les-normes 2010, discoveries & new acquisitions, christian berst art brut gallery, from September 16th to October 16th 2010, Paris, France.
electricity, Singletary Center for the Arts, University of Kentucky, 2003, Kentucky, United States.
exhibition catalogue, On the Wire by Jean-Hubert Martin, christian berst art brut ed., Paris, 2016.
exhibition catalogue, Soit 10 ans, états intérieurs, christian berst art brut ed., Paris, 2015.
exhibition catalogue, Art brut live, DOX Center of Contemporary Art, Prague, 2015.
exhibition catalogue, Art brut collection ABCD / Bruno Decharme, La maison rouge, Paris, 2015.
exhibition catalogue, Le mur - oeuvres de la collection Antoine de Galbert, La maison rouge, Paris, 2014.
exhibition catalogue, Rentrée hors-les-normes 2012, découvertes et nouvelles acquisitions, christian berst art brut ed., Paris, 2012.
exhibition catalogue, Everything #4, The Museum of Everything, London, 2011.
David Minton, “Her Art Disproves Her Disability”, The Lexington Herald-Leader, December 2002.
Jennifer Worley, “Paintings Speak for Local Woman”, The Woodford Sun, August 2002.
Rich Copley, “Keeping An Open Mind”, The Lexington Herald-Leader, August 2000.
David Minton, “6 from Minds Wide Open art center”, The Lexington Herald-Leader, August 1999.
selective press review
- in abstracto authors bénédicte philippe in télérama sortir, july 5, 2017.
- Black is the new black in Dallas art authors Rick Bretell in Dallas News, August 27, 2016.
- Church of Ballpoint: The Drawings of Beverly Baker authors Sophia Cosmadopoulos in Brut Force, November 27, 2015.
- Beverly Baker, galerie christian berst authors in News Art Today, February 17, 2015.
- Beverly Baker, Palimpseste authors François Salmeron in Paris Art, February 12, 2015.
- Beverly Baker, Palimpseste authors Bénédicte Philippe in Télérama Sortir, February 11, 2015.
- Beverly Baker, c'est Twombly équipée d'un stylo bille authors Philippe Godin in Libération, La diagonale de l'art, February 3, 2015.
- Les portes, entre ombre et prières, Beverly Baker et Jill Gallièni authors Pascal Ordonneau in Soliloques sur l'art, February 2015.
- Feeling Right at Home on the Fringe authors in The New York Times, January 31 2013.
- Rentrée hors les normes authors Philippe Dagen in Le Monde, September 9-10 2012.